Monday, October 24, 2011

The challenges continue...

The challenges continue, but these are good challenges!  I am still working on the challenges at www.splitcoaststampers.com splitcoaststampers-Hope you can cling to.  This card is for the Masculine card challenge.  If you are familiar with my blog, you will know that I have a bit of trouble making masculine cards.  They always come out a bit on the girly side.  And this challenge has a bit of a catch, the card has to be masculine, but have pink on it somewhere, since it is for the Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign.  I decided to put some pink in my sunset.  I have made sunsets before, but usually with yellows and oranges, so pink is new for me, but I have to say that I think it works! 
I started this card by stamping my main image on whisper white card stock.  I then made an oval mask on vellum cardstock.  I like to use vellum when making a mask because I like to be able to see through it.  I started at the bottom with my lightest color, Pretty in Pink.  I used a sponge to apply ink, being careful not to get ink on the cliff part of the image.  I didn't worry about getting ink on the lighthouse itself.  I'll explain way in a few pictures down. I then added a touch of So Saffron, just a tiny bit at the bottom, in the center.  I wanted this to look like the moment that the sun just goes down, so I couldn't help but use a bit of yellow.  Next, I added a bit of blue with Bashful Blue ink.  You can make your sunsets darker of lighter as you wish, by using deeper colors.  The final color that I used on this card is Night of Navy, perfect name for this card, right?     That was the end of the sponging.  I then removed the mask to see if I wanted to go back and add any more color, but I decided to leave it as it was.
In the past, I have made cards like this, but I put a mask over the main image as well.  This time, I used a second light house and just glued it on top of the original one.  I was given this idea by a friend of mine, thanks Kathy.  She said, if your going to cut one out to use as a mask anyway, why not just glue it on top, its easier.  And she's so right! You can't even tell!  The Sailboat card at the bottom is the card she made, which introduced me to this way of covering the image.  I finished off the card by layering it on some Basic Black cardstock.  I added some black brads to the corner.  A good way to line these up is by using a template that is sold though Stampin' Up!  It comes in the "Mat pack" and it is great for so many things!  Paper Piercing, lining up brads, eyelets, and making faux stitching.  Love it.   The piercing tool is sold separately for $3.50.  
mat pack $9.95






Thank you for stopping by! I hope you found some bit of inspiration! Why not try out on of the challenges yourself? Its fun!

1 comment:

Hi, I love all your comments! But, I have learned that I can not always reply to your comments. If you would like me to contact you directly, you can email me at bethrush@issinternet.com Im happy to hear from you. Or, you can leave a comment here if you dont want to hear back. Happy stamping!