Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mummy How To

Well, Mr Mummy is certainly popular.  I had a few requests for a "how to" on the mummy.  He is actually pretty easy.  You can make him to fit just about anything.  I made mine to fit a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup 2 pack.  I cut a piece of  Basic Black paper to 6 by 5 1/2.  I used Sticky Strip to make a tube, and closed it at the bottom.    Using a circle punch, make holes through the top.  I made rather large holes because I was using a thick 5/8 grosgrain ribbon.  You can make thinner holes if you use thinner ribbon.  It is important that the holes are not too tight though, because when you pull up on the ribbon, the candy bar comes up.  You want this to be easy so that the person receiving the candy bar will know what to do with it.  If the ribbon doesn't slide up easily, they may tear apart your cute little mummy to get at the candy, and that would be a tragedy for sure!  Next, I put another piece of Sticky Strip down the length of the tub from the hole down.  You can now begin wrapping your mummy.  I choose Twill Tape to wrap him.
Once you like how your ribbon looks, you need to make eyes.  I used the small oval punch and a 1/2 inch circle punch to make the eyes.  I stuck them onto the Twill Tape with glue dots to make sure they don't fall off.  Now, you need to put the candy in.  Measure a length of ribbon that is as long as
your candy bar, plus a bit extra to slip through the holes and make a nice tie to pull on.  Put the ribbon around the candy bar length wise, and then put it into the mummy.  Slip the ends of the ribbon through the holes of the mummy, and tie a knot. You are done! Yea!  

I found an older version of this mummy in my idea box.  I think I made this one two Halloweens ago, but I'm not sure.  This mummy uses paper instead of ribbon to wrap the mummy.  This cuts down on costs, but does take a bit longer to do.  I ripped strips of 8 1/2 by 11 Sahara Sand paper into 3/4 x 11 inch strips.  I then used a sponge to antique the edges of the strips, give them a buried for centuries look.  Once you have a bunch of strips, the rest of the instructions are the same as above.  I wonder if the chocolate is still good?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love all your comments! But, I have learned that I can not always reply to your comments. If you would like me to contact you directly, you can email me at bethrush@issinternet.com Im happy to hear from you. Or, you can leave a comment here if you dont want to hear back. Happy stamping!